Thank you so much for visiting The Honest Plate! Let’s talk food selection for a quick second. Contrary to popular belief, eating healthy is simple and delicious. Just how easy? Seven simple steps easy. That is less steps than it takes me to get ready for bed . At the super fabulous culinary school I attended, The Natural Gourmet Institute, we studied seven criteria for food selection, which makes healthy eating a no-brainer. Follow these seven guidelines and you will nourish your body from the inside out, without having to think too hard. Please note this is a guideline, not a lifeline. You will drive yourself crazy if you don’t allow yourself flexibility. So go ahead and enjoy a French fry every once in awhile.
1. Whole: As nature intended us to eat them.
2. Fresh, Real, Organically Grown: Free of chemicals, not genetically engineered, no imitations. Time to put down the artificial sweetener. Your body will thank you.
4. Local: Food from your own neck of the woods tastes better and is higher in nutrients.
5. In Harmony with Tradition: Eat as our ancestors did. They may not have had smart phones, but they were definitely smarter than us in their food choices.
6. Balanced: Mix it up a bit. Eating a variety of food helps ensure we meet our nutritional needs.
7. Delicious: Food is one of life’s greatest pleasures. Enjoy it
If you would like to learn more about the seven criteria for food selection, pick up a copy of Food and Healing, a book written by the founder of The Natural Gourmet Institute, Annemarie Colbin.
Now that we have that out of the way, let’s move on to to the real reason you stopped by The Honest Plate…the recipes.